Publications and Speeches
Paris Agreement, unambitious climate protection, and human rights
Missing German and EU climate targets is not embarrassing - it is contrary to international and human rights. Even the unambitious targets themselves are illegal;
all the more so their misconduct. More on this in our new legal opinion on the Paris Agreement here.
Felix Ekardt on "Growth - A Hard Habit to Break
A contribution in the Global Compact International Yearbook deals with fundamental issues of the sustainability debate: the limits to green growth and technological
innovations, the preconditions of societal transformation towards sustainability, the complexity of human motivation, the underrated ambitiousness of the long-term goal
in the Paris Climate Agreement. See, among other papers, here.
Phosphorus, Scarcity of Natural Resources, and the Law
During the last years, the Research Unit Sustainability and Climate
Policy has done a lot of research on questions of phosphorus and
scarcity of natural resources in general, as well as on land-use and climate change
- from a transdisciplinary point of view.
See, among other papers, Economic Instruments for P, N, Climate, Biodiv.
Universalism, Discourse Ethics, and Objectivity of Norms
The Research Unit Sustainability and Climate Policy has done a lot of
research on the normative grounds of sustainability - respectively on
the theoretical basis of both ethics and law. The most informative is
the big German volume "Theorie der Nachhaltigkeit", but there is also a
number of English papers. See, among other papers, here.
Felix Ekardt on various international conferences
Since 2007, Felix Ekardt has given speeches and presentations on some
60 international conferences on questions of sustainability, climate
change, justice, human rights, phosphorus scarcity, land-use, etc. For
details and also for forthcoming speeches, see the list of presentations.
Read all news
Publications of Felix Ekardt and the Research Unit Sustainability and Climate Policy
This is a list of some international English publications of Felix Ekardt and the Research Unit Sustainability and Climate Policy. A complete list of all publications can be found on the German page
- The temperature target of the Paris Agreement and the forgotten aspects of a meaningful energy transition, in: Mathis, Klaus (Hg.): Energy Law and Economics, Berlin 2018, forthcoming (with Jutta Wieding)
- Handling the Phosphorus Paradox, Ambio 2018 (with Peter Leinweber, Caroline Douhaire et al.)
- Human Rights, the Right to Food, Legal Philosophy, and General Principles of International Law, ARSP 2017, p. 221 (with Anna Hyla)
- Defending Environmental Economic Instruments against the Economists and their Opponents, in: Mathis, Klaus (ed.), Environmental Law and Economics, Berlin 2017, p. 83 (with Jutta Wieding)
- Nudging and Environmental Law: Perspectives and Examples, in: Mathis, Klaus/ Tor, Avishalom (ed.): Nudging, Berlin 2016, p. 247 (with Jutta Wieding)
- Natural Capital Accounting and the Mobilization of Financial Resources for Biodiversity, Working Paper, 2016
- Legal Instruments for Phosphorus Supply Security – Integrated Solutions for Various Environmental Problems, JEEPL 2016, p. 341 (with Beatrice Garske, Jessica Stubenrauch und Jutta Wieding)
- Growth: A Hard Habit to Break, Global Compact International Yearbook 2016, p. 25
- Climate Justice 2015 (Paper for COP 21/ FoE Germany, 20 p., Berlin 2015 (with Jutta Wieding an Marianne Henkel)
- Sustainability, Justice, and Climate Change, in: German, Kinga (ed.): Sustainability Identities. 56. Biennale di Venezia, Budapest 2015, p. 74
- Sustainability and Phosphorus Scarcity, in: Schnug, Ewald/ de Kok, Luit (eds.): Phosphorus 100 % Zero, 2015, p. 317
- Phosphorus Governance, in: Schnug, Ewald/ de Kok, Luit (eds.): Phosphorus 100 % Zero, 2015, p. 331 (with Beatrice Garske, Jessica Stubenrauch and Jutta Wieding)
- Transdisciplinary humanistic sustainability theory: justice, governance, blocks, in: Enders, Judith/ Remig, Moritz (ed.): Theories of Sustainable Development, London 2014, p. 65
- Climate Change, Justice, and Sustainability: The Right to Freedom, Protection Rights, and Balancing, ARSP 2014, p. 187
- Examples on National Climate Policy: Germany, in: Hollo, Erkki (Hg.): Climate Change and the Law. A Global Perspective (Handbook), Berlin 2013, p. 523
- Climate Change, Sustainability, and Justice, in: Hollo, Erkki (ed.): Climate Change and the Law. A Global Perspective (Handbook), Berlin 2013, p. 63
- Toward A New Approach to Discourse Theory of Law and Justice, ARSP 2012, p. 377
- The Clean Development as a Governance Issue, Carbon & Climate Law Review 2012, p. 396 (with Anne-Katrin Exner)
- International Resource Politics, Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung, 2012 (with Wuppertal Institute and Heidi Feldt)
- Intergenerational Justice and Human Rights, in: Markus, Jean-Paul (ed.): Intergenerational Justice, Paris 2012, p. 101
- Extended emissions trading versus sustainability criteria: Managing the ecological and social ambivalences of bioenergy, RELP 2012, p. 49 (with Hartwig von Bredow)
- Phosphorus, Governance and the Law, in: Yabar Sterling, Ana et al. (eds.): Market Instruments and Sustainable Economy, Madrid 2012, p. 467 (with Nadine Holzapfel and Andrea Ulrich)
- Sustainability, Land-use, and Soil Protection - A Legal Perspective, Agriculture & Forestry Research 2011, p. 83 (with Nadine Holzapfel, Andrea Ulrich, Ewald Schnug and Silvia Haneklaus)
- Managing the Ecological and Social Ambivalences of Bioenergy - Sustainability Criteria versus Extended Carbon Markets, in: Leal, Walter (ed.), The Economic, Social, and Political Aspects of Climate Change, Berlin 2011, p. 455 (with Hartwig von Bredow)
- Legal Perspectives of sustainable P use in agriculture, EcoRegion Perspectives November 2011, p. 29 (with Nadine Holzapfel und Andrea Ulrich)
- Land use, climate change and emissions trading. European and international legal aspects of the post-Kyoto process, CCLR 2011, p. 371 (with Bettina Hennig und Hartwig von Bredow) = Verschuuren, Jonathan (ed.), Environmental Law and Climate Change, Cheltenham 2015
- Climate Change and Social Distributive Justice, in: Pan Jiahua (Hg.): Climate Policy after Copenhagen, Beijing 2011, p. 83. (English/ Chinese)
- A Critical Review of “Efficiency Ethics”. The Case of Climate Economics, in: Mathis, Klaus (ed.): Efficiency, Sustainability, and Justice to Future Generations, Berlin 2011, p. 181
- Of Unity in Diversity and Inherent Tensions: Interpreting the European Union’s New Architecture of Fundamental Rights, Columbia Journal of European Law 2010, i.E. (with Daniel Kornack)
- Economics, Ethics, and the Limits to Efficiency Theory: A Critical Review of “rational” Efficiency Ethics and Business Ethics – Shortcomings by Economic Theory, Stern, Nordhaus, and IPCC, Journal of International Business Ethics 2/ 2010, 29 ff. (with Martin Wilke)
- Absolute Quantity Reductions as a Legal Problem, JEEPL 2010, 267 (with Nadine Holzapfel und Andrea Ulrich)
- The Added Value of the Environment: Ethical Aspects of Climate Change, Journal of International Business Ethics 2009, Vol. 1, 46 ff.
- Issues of Non-Sustainability in Fertiliser Legislation, LBF 2009, forthcoming
- Distributive Justice, Competitiveness, and Transnational Climate Protection: ‘One Human – One Emission Right’, Carbon & Climate Law Review 2009, p. 102 ff. (with Antonia von Hövel)
- Climate Protection, Justice, and CDM. A Review of the Copenhagen Protocol Draft, Carbon & Climate Law Review 2009, p. 261 ff. (with Anne-Katrin Exner and Sibylle Albrecht)
- Border Adjustments, WTO Law, and Climate Protection, Critical Issues in Environmental Taxation 2009, p. 737 ff. (with Andrea Schmeichel)
- Legal Aspects of Uranium in environmental Compartments, in: De Kok, Luit/Schnug, Ewald (eds.): Loads and Fate of fertiliser derived Uranium, Groningen 2008, p. 209 ff. (with Ewald Schnug)
- Sustainability and a New Concept of Liberty, in: Bugge, Hans Christian/Voigt, Christina (eds.): Sustainable Development in International and National Law, Groningen 2008, p. 67 ff.